Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Phantoms

Sept. 26: I am having these muscle twitches in my lower abdomen that feel exactly like a baby inside me with the hiccups.

What the hell does it mean? It seems cruel and hopeful at the same time. It seems more cruel to my empty body than the usual sights that stalked me this morning at the public library: the mother with the two small daughters who opened her van door with its two carseats next to me just as I was getting out of my car; the woman with the preschooler and toddler walking by me as I entered the library; the hugely pregnant woman with the toddler boy passing by me as I went to buy some tea at the library cafe.

I know these are common sights, as are the multitude of hugely pregnant women I seem to see every day, and the FIVE friends and acquaintances I've learned are pregnant in the past couple of months. I want to believe these are good omens of another, healthy baby in our future, and good reminders of our Elise.

But these twitches...the hiccup-like ones are new. I've had phantom ones that were occasional, like the kicks and punches with which Elise once poked me. When I read about others having these ghostly movements in books about stillbirth, I could hardly believe it. But then they happened to me.

And I don't know what to do with them. I do remember seeing an item at the popular museum show Bodies: The Exhibition in Seattle that has stayed with me: in the room about fetal development, a passage read, "Fetal cells stay in the mother's body for years after birth." I felt comforted by those words. It seemed like a physical element of Elise's spirit living on in my life.

I think I need to rethink my connection to my body, let my body into my consciousness more. The weight loss, the illness, the feelings of disconnection are telling me this, not to mention the words of my massage therapist and acupuncturist. I'm not sure how to do it. Maybe I'll start by taking myself for a walk.

5 comments:

xoxojdf said...

Still reading...keep on keepin' on sister...xoxo JDF

Anonymous said...

Still reading as well.... still thinking of all of you.

Martha said...

I am also still reading, Marilyn, and have a sense that the sadness and anger have lifted somewhat. Your strength,courage and determination to move through this must be paying off. Keep up the good work! I hold you, Dan, Felix and Elise in my heart daily. Love, Hugs & kisses to all of you. Martha

Anonymous said...

What a remarkable chronicle and what a great way to be in touch with your thoughts. I am privileged to be able to read them.

Your thoughts reinforce the richness and utility of the ghost concept. Do you ever try active imagination i.e.talking or writing to her ghost?

Unknown said...

HI M,

I have been reading too -- have you "bookmarked." Your "voice" is powerful and theraputic for others, as well as, I hope, for yourself. You, Dan, Felix and Elise are in the thoughts and hearts of many, including me. Love, Gretchen